Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I'm currently at odds with my organization program down at the lab. I have a box of switches that is eluding me, and completed projects are starting to back up because of it. I figure I may as well add the EC power supply to the pile.


First step was to remove all components and hardware from the upper shroud. I posed it here with some of the objects I will be using to realign the sheet metal, notably absent: hammer, perhaps the most important tool of all. Okay, that tool is the mind, I'm still a bit miffed that the hammer wandered off during the photo shoot.


My initial idea of gently clamping stuff into shape was rapidly undermined by an array of deficiencies in the tool department. Seeing as how the project was under way on the living room floor and my ability to make new tools involved going across town, I reassessed my approach.


Roughing in the general shape by hand is satisfying, 17ga metal offers minimal resistance.


Shaping the corner is as easy as clamping in some appropriate backing material and tickling the outside edge with a hammer.


I'm over-all satisfied with the shape. It is no secret I'm fine with rough looking equipment so long as it is functional.


I'm pretty sure the front panel controls can be mounted now, free of interference.


All shaping after that clamped corner was a hammer and the small block held by hand.


Raises arm, shields eyes..


TAP


And so, rebuilding begins. Stymied by the lack of a power switch (the original is in many pieces) I occupy myself mapping the guts of this unit, to assist in understanding and potential troubleshooting down the road. It's not without a few points of concern.


When powered, the entire rotating assembly here is electrically hot. Since the structural integrity of the case isn't stellar, I'll have to refrain from placing heavy objects on the conveniently flat surface the top of the case provides.

There's also only a fuse in line with secondary side of the variac. I plan on placing a primary side fuse in the opening that carried the variable AC output jack, since I don't need another variac.

Now, to locate my switches so I can reassemble this, repair the Peavey EQ-27, a delay, and something else that's slipping my mind at the moment..

No comments: